Sunday, September 11, 2011

10 Years Later


I've been doing a lot of reminiscing today.  I've allowed myself to feel things that I haven't felt since I was 18.  I'm sure all of us remember that day 10 years ago when we thought everything was coming to an end.  I know I did.

For me it was just another school day.  I was a senior in high school.  I remember that I caught a ride to school with my mom.  We were listening to the radio, like always, but we kept flipping through the stations trying to find some music.  But every station was talking.  It wasn't until the 4th or 5th station that we started to understand that something had happened.  I remember them saying that a plane had crashed into a building; I thought, "what a terrible accedent."  It wasn't until I got to my first class that I understood.  My teacher walked in and said,"Out nation in under attack."  Then she proceeded to turn the television on and I saw what changed my life forever.



I know that in the 10 years since then, there have been a lot of talk about who was behind the attacks.  Who is to blame.  The fact of the matter is, it doesn't matter.  What matters is that we remember those feelings that we felt.  Remember how it was so easy that day to serve others, to help a random stranger in need.  President Monson said that it it so easy to remember God in times of tragedy.  And that we are so quick to forget Him when those hurt feelings fade.  What I want, and wish for, is that we can all look deep inside oursleves and remember how we felt that terrible day 10 years ago.  Remember how our hearts ached for all those people who lost loved ones. Take those feelings and make them into something.  Help those around you, be a good neighbor and friend.

We have a choice.  Make the most of yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...