Thursday, September 2, 2010

Statistic: One in a Million

This is sort of a long story so bare with me...plus there might be some subject matter that might make people uncomfortable so beware!

It all started, I suppose, a couple a weeks ago. I started my first period since I got pregnant with Sawyer. The trouble was it just kept going...and going...and going! It lasted for two weeks!!! So when I was getting close to the two week mark I called and made an appointment with my doctor. Of course with my luck I stopped the day before my appointment!

I went in on Wednesday aftenoon. I talked with my doctor and he said that the bleeding was pretty normal because my body is just trying to get back into the swing of things (although he did say that if it happened again I should come back). He decided to check my IUD to make sure that it wasn't causing any trouble. Before he checked me he asked if I've been able to feel the strings of the IUD. I told him that I've never been able to feel them (it worried me at first but then when others told me that they've never been able to feel theirs I started feeling better).

Well he checked and checked and finally he said that he couldn't see them at all! So he decided to send me for and x-ray to see if we could figure out if it fell out or not. But before doing that he wanted to give me a pregnancy test!! Just to make sure of course...it came back negative. And when the x-ray came back we pulled me in to look at it with him. What I saw next was unbelievable!! Not only had the IUD slipped out of place but it somehow managed to turn upside down and moved up to the area between my right hip and right leg joint!!!! WHAT!?!?!? He couldn't tell on the ultrasound if it was still in my uterus or not so we scheduled and ultrasound for this morning to locate it.

This afternoon I got a call from my doctor. He told me that it had somehow moved passed my uterus and had gone up past it. He proceeded to tell me that the only way to get it out was surgery. The good news is that it's an outpatient surgery that only takes 30 minutes or so. We obviously can't leave it in there because it's a forgein thing in my body so surgery is the only option.

Steve and I knew that there was a chance that something like this could happen when we decided to get the IUD but it was like a less than 1% chance of happening! And Steve actually looked up numbers this afternoon and found that in 1990(after 20 years of IUDs and the THOUSANDS of them being used) that less than 150 people had this happen. CRAZY CRAZY stuff!

The good news is, also, that this won't hurt any chances of us being able to have more kids. And that was the biggest relief for me. Needless to say that I won't be getting another IUD...I'd rather control things myself and take the pill from now on so that I can have peace of mind.

Well, enough of my ranting!

5 comments:

  1. Oh MY GOSH!!! Now I'm all freaked out! That is crazy!! Are you OK? Let us know if you need anything!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. holy cow! that is crazy! I am glad everything is okay though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's the second story I've heard of where surgery is involved in removing it. I was thinking about getting one and then heard the story of this other girl and said, "NO FREAKIN WAY" That's so scary. I'm glad you're ok though!! I was totally thinking you'd be preggo though, darn it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is crazy scary, Kim. Im glad I found your blog again. I wondered why you werent updating and now I know why.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! I had no idea when you said you had minor surgery that it would be anything like this!!!! I hope you're feeling better and recovering quickly! In the meantime--don't hesitate to let me know if you can't be there Sunday--I have no problem filling in for you!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...