Thursday, March 3, 2011

{Discovery}: Self-Awareness

Ok so for the past several months (unintentionally) I've been on a path to an epiphany! I guess I'll have to start with a little background of myself; ever since I can remember I've thought a great deal about what others thought of me: what I wore, what my hair looked like, how skinny/fat I was, if they thought I was funny or nice, EVERYTHING!!! I actually got to the point where it was controlling every little thing I did. It was bad.

Now as I got married, had a couple of kids, I started worrying less and less about those things, even though they would pop their ugly heads now and again. Then last summer I wanted to start a workout regiment. Now I hate, I mean HATE, working out. I hate running, I hate tread mills, workout machines, all of it so I needed something that I could enjoy but that would work me at the same time. A good friend of mine envited me to a Zumba class and I was in love! 3 times a week since last summer I've been jammin' out (in the dark no less) and letting everything go! Not only has it been a great stress relief but I've realized that it's helping me let go of a lot of those worries that I've grown up with. I'm discovering that I care less about what others might think and I'm just going with what I feel is the best. I feel like for the first time in my life I am my own person, with my own style and my own sense of humor. I no longer try to fit anyone's idea of what THEY think I should be but what I think I should be; and it's AWESOME!

It's funny that it's taken me 27 years to finally get to this point. I'm just grateful that I did get to this point. I finally feel like I'm at peace with who I am and what I look like...no more fretting over the latest fashion trends, diet trends, nada!

To mis-quote Martin Luther King, "Free at last, free at last, thank *** I'm free at last!"

1 comment:

  1. That is a great epiphany! I think this world puts too much stress on our acceptance from others and to be free from that is so liberating!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...